Thursday, June 26, 2008

The shutdown aka Frankie (part 1)

If I had been the type to commit suicide, I probably would have killed myself AT SOME POINT during my shutdown.
Frankie (this is what I named my shutdown) was the worst experience of my entire life. I know that many other people are going through this same thing and have GONE through this same thing... And they're never the same again. I understand why - I will never be the same as I once was. I know that the Frankie lasted a really long time and that, naturally, over a period of two years people generally change at least a little. The changes I went through were not your typical changes.
(I also wanted to take this time to tell you that the Frankie was caused because I had been really stressed out for years, then I was supposed to graduate in December of '05. I had a best friend, who was a guy, and at some point, amidst all of the stress and anxiety that I already had, I began to confuse my feelings of complete and utter FRIENDSHIP and love for him as something that it wasn't. I also then, began to date him. And then I seemingly "went crazy." I threw up all the time, I was always anxious, always stressed out, I couldn't handle anything. I can remember doubting whether or not I should actually sign up for classes that fall. I used to wish that I hadn't signed up, but if all that hadn't happened, I wouldn't be as knowledgeable as I am today.)
The after-effects of the Frankie were:
  • I had OCD thoughts that I did not want to have and that I had literally NEVER had before. (When I would drive, I would sometimes imagine myself careening off a bridge or sometimes, I would imagine that *I* was running over *my* hands while driving. That sounds way more insane to me right now than it did when it was happening.)
  • A lack of eye contact. (Specifically, well, it took several months for it to occur to me that I needed to look someone in the eye when talking to them. Then, when I tried doing that, I wondered how long I was supposed to look and even then, I couldn't make eye contact for very long because it REALLY creeped me out for some reason. I don't understand this AT ALL, but it made me very very uneasy to look *anyone* in the eye. Sometimes I still have to force myself. -- But the diet, as long as there are no hidden culprits, works very well if you wish to make eye contact for whatever the appropriate amount of time is.)
  • Stress. social stress. I have honestly never in my life wondered about so many different social things. I didn't even realize all these things existed and that most of these things "come naturally" to neuro-typical ("""normal""") people.
  • extreme ADD
  • poor coordination
  • I lost many abilities that I had prior. They are slowly returning. I understand that I didn't do these things for a long time, but it was like I forgot how to do EVERYTHING.
  • My memory seemed to not be very good after the shutdown, but it has improved with time and possibly even the diet has helped it.
  • My sense of sarcasm left me completely. (I began understanding sarcasm in the 7th grade, I kind of think that was the product of some type of shutdown of SOME sort.)

    Oh yes, I also wanted to let you know that the shutdown that I encountered was a full shutdown. Here is some information on shutdowns. This is the best information I have found about shutdowns and the description for a "full shutdown" accurately describes what I experienced.

    Stress and guilt caused me to "shutdown" and then I didn't know what was going on, so I kept pushing myself to go out and socialize. This was not a good thing to do. I did so many insane things and at least ONE really dangerous thing. I came out alright, but it was still a dangerous thing to do. I was very vulnerable and I could not see what someone's true intentions were until I was going over it in my head over and over again much later.


  • this is a work in progress. i will add more to this later.

    No comments: